These are four simple steps to good oral care and are also the theme for October’s National Dental Hygiene Month. Wrigley gum is partnering with the American Dental Hygienists’ Association with four simple steps to healthy oral habits including brushing, flossing, rinsing and yes, even chewing gum! And we’ve added a fifth step that you don’t want to miss!
1) We recommend brushing 2 minutes, 2 times per day as the most important step for preventing cavities and reducing plaque which can lead to oral health disease.
2) Floss every day to remove plaque and food particles that cannot be reached by a toothbrush, particularly under the gum line and between teeth. Plaque that builds up in these areas can lead to tooth decay and gum disease. Make it part of your oral health routine to avoid gun disease and tooth decay.
3) Rinse with mouthwash daily because brushing and flossing cannot get all plaque and germs. Be sure to use an antiseptic mouthwash with the ADA Seal of Acceptance.
4) Chew! It may come as a surprise, but chewing sugar-free gum after eating is clinically proven to be an important part of good oral health. It stimulates the most important natural defense against tooth decay—saliva—which in turn helps fight cavities, neutralizes plaque acids, re-mineralizes enamel to strengthen teeth and washes away food particles.
5) Step 5? Yes, I’m adding No. 5 because it is SO important to schedule routine cleanings and exams to prevent or treat cavities, tartar build-up, gum disease and address any other oral health concerns. We’ll get you in and out in a timely fashion, and look forward to seeing you soon!
If you have questions, concerns or wish to make an appointment, please call 239-936-0597 or go online to www.myfortmyersdentist.com/appoinements to schedule your next appointment. Have a great weekend!